Blog Goal

This blog is to educate and entertain readers by sharing my experiences as an acreage dweller. I have incorporated the "donate" button as the sole means of revenue earned from this blog. Any monies received will be used for temporary improvements to our existing rented acreage, and toward the purchase of an acreage/farm of our own. I thank you for your support.

Wednesday 30 May 2012

I Should Be Gardening

It is a beautiful day today! I should be gardening, but instead I am adding on to the alpaca pen. With the sun so high, they have very little shade. We have an area between their pen and the front lawn that is completely shaded and has a lot of grass. I am extending their pen into that area so they can enjoy the shade and green grass. Perhaps the grass in the rest of the pen will grow a little if they are preoccupied with the new area.

I have the area marked off, and the rebar lined up where it needs to be. After some iced tea and a bit of a break from the heat I will be going out with hammer in hand to pound in the rebar. Alpacas are not too hard on fences, so rebar does work instead of wooden posts. It is also a less permanent solution and can be moved if need be. I removed the rebar from the area I had the alpacas in last year and am reusing it, so expenses are cut down as well.

To use rebar for a fence, the best thing to do is start with seven foot lengths. Try to sink the posts into the ground at least 18", then tie the page wire to the rebar posts with haywire. I find fencing pliers to work great for twisting and bending the wire, as well as cutting it. I think I would be lost without them; I would have to carry several different tools with me if I didn't have them.

I will add a photo or two when they are in their new area. I had best not sit too long or I may not want to go out again. It is getting to the warmest part of the day; I am glad I have a shaded area to work in.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment