Blog Goal

This blog is to educate and entertain readers by sharing my experiences as an acreage dweller. I have incorporated the "donate" button as the sole means of revenue earned from this blog. Any monies received will be used for temporary improvements to our existing rented acreage, and toward the purchase of an acreage/farm of our own. I thank you for your support.

Wednesday 27 June 2012

Alpacas & Ducks


I have been out with the camera a bit the last couple of days, taking pictures for various articles. I decided to post a couple of them here to give you an idea of the cuteness and serenity we are blessed with each and every day. 

The photo below shows our two cria; they are about two and a half months apart in age (darker one being the younger of the two) but almost the same size now. It is funny to watch them play; it is amazing how fast those little legs can carry them sometimes.



While I was out today, I happened to get an opportunity to capture the ducks and ducklings out in the pond. They had been in the reeds, but our dog decided he was going to go for a swim, so they retreated further into the pond for safety. I am surprised the camera captured the images relatively clear. (I am hoping for a higher quality camera in the future; it will pay for itself quickly I'm sure)


It is almost time to shear the alpacas, and I am in the process of locating someone who is willing to teach us what we need to know. I have watched a couple of videos on YouTube, but it would be good to see it done in person. We don't see any problems with doing the cria ourselves; it is the adults who we are a little leery of attempting without some proper guidance. The males are heavier than I am so my biggest concern is getting them secured for shearing without dislocating my shoulder...again. (Once in a lifetime is more than enough, but that is another story.)

I was told I may be unable to use the fiber from the adult alpacas this year since they mostly have two years growth. I refuse to toss it all away; perhaps I can designate it for rugs or pet bed filler. I have two dogs who I'm sure would love beds made with soft, warm fiber; especially when winter rolls around again.  

When the shearing begins I will be capturing it on camera; hopefully both still and video. It will be an interesting experience for us to attempt the fiber harvest, but we will never learn if we don't try. Wish us luck!

Happy farming!

No comments:

Post a Comment